In 1903 the city of Spearville was growing. A rural community situated about 20 miles east of Dodge City, the community had several businesses including a blacksmith’s shop, hotels, two banks, a meat market, two banks, a news office, a lumber yard, a grain elevator, and two churches. Members of the Catholic church, however, had a long and arduous journey to Dodge City or Windhorst to attend services. At a quiet meeting in the blacksmith’s shop owned by George Torline, plans were made to organize a Catholic parish in Spearville. On October 18, 1904, St. John the Baptist Church was dedicated. In the years following, a rectory, parochial school, and sister’s house were also erected.
100 S. Main P.O. Box 187 Spearville, KS 67876 620.385.2212 email@example.com
Site by Solutio